Social Icons

воскресенье, 2 октября 2016 г.

Outbreak of violence in Calais

An unauthorized demonstration turned violent on Saturday before the "Jungle" in Calais. Five police were slightly injured and an AFP photographer.

Violent clashes, the most serious since the end of February, erupted Saturday for three hours at the entrance of the "Jungle" in Calais migrants and very determined militants to police, two days after the ban of demonstration of support to refugees provided on site.


Five policemen were slightly injured and a journalist, according to the latest report released in the evening by the interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, who "condemned in the strongest terms violence by militants". The journalist is an AFP photographer who was hit by a projectile.

The "Jungle" in Calais, promised to be dismantled before winter , had a fever, with images of violent face-to-face between migrants and police that we had more magazines since the beginning of the dismantling, February 29, from the southern part of the largest slum in France. These clashes then injured five.

Thursday, the prefecture decided to ban Saturday's demonstration, organized by the "International Coalition of Undocumented Migrants and (CISPM)", saying that the risks of disturbances to public order were characterized.

To justify its decision, the state departments reminded the invasion in late January the port of Calais after a demonstration of this group, with the dramatic occupation of the ferry company P & O Ferries by around 80 migrants . Friday, Lille Administrative Court, lodged an urgent application (emergency procedure), confirmed the prohibition order.

Saturday afternoon, around 3:40 p.m. on one of the main camp two entries, about 200 people, migrants and ultra-left militants, including No Border, tried to pass the cordon of police to form a procession.

"As the rally was banned, it has carried out the customary warnings and CRS have pushed the migrants on the 100 m band (which had been entirely dismantled early 2016, Ed), right inside the camp," told AFP Desplanques Etienne, Chief of Staff of the prefect of Pas-de-Calais.

This was followed by violent clashes between the two camps, migrants and activists, many of them British, very determined and often masked, threw stones and various projectiles. The security forces responded almost continuously pulling very many grenades tear gas and increasing use a water cannon to repel them.

"Pebbles stolen"

At the height of the clashes, 200 additional members of the security forces (police and a squadron of a company and a half CRS) have been dispatched, said the prefecture. "They were stolen stones, it has not stopped," testified an AFP photographer at the scene.

To 19 hours, the situation was calm again, especially after a "mop-band 100 m by gendarmes and riot police to rule out the last recalcitrant" said Etienne Desplanques.

By early afternoon, the situation was so tense 40 km further south, at the toll Setques, near Saint-Omer. Indeed, four buses and left Paris carrying 200 people eager to join the procession to Calais, had been blocked for more than two hours and forced to turn back, escorted by gendarmes.

A spokesman CISPM present in one of the coaches, who refused to give his identity, "condemned this restriction on freedom of movement."

The clashes took place six days after the visit to Calais Francois Hollande, who promised the "complete dismantling" by "the end of the year" of the camp, which is crammed between 7000 and 10 000 migrants according counts .

Комментариев нет:

 
Blogger Templates